Subject: Re: COMMENT OUT NetBSD/mac68k
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Emmett D. Payne <emmettp@primenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/15/1997 09:43:29
Colin Wood wrote:

> Emmett D. Payne wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I downloaded GENERIC-35 and this time I was able to boot much further
> > before it bombed. It seemed to have stopped because an "init" was not
> > found. Any thoughts on how to proceed are appreciated.
>
> [boot message snipped]
>
> > root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
> > PRAM time does not appear to have been read corectly.
> > PRAM: 0x83da4f80,      macos_boottime: 0x341aef55.
> > root file system type:ffs
> > init: not found
> > panic: no init
> >  stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:    unlk        a6
> >  db>
> > Also, since I have never had or seen a system that was running... am I
> > getting any closer?
>
> I'm pretty sure that this one is in the FAQ (take a look at it on
> www.macbsd.com or www.netbsd.org).  However, the answer is most likely
> that you need to install /sbin/init.  Do an 'ls /sbin/init' in the
> minishell of the Installer to see if it's there or not.  If not, try
> reinstalling the base distribution.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.
Hi Colin,

ls /sbin/init is not in GENERIC-35, the kernel that I hope will boot on
my PowerBook 170 (68030), however, it is on the NetBSD base121 kernel
which I have:

	ls /shin/init

	21   -r-x --- ---   1      3    131072  Mar 17         1931  /sbin/init

How could I extract this base file and install only it, for the build
with GENERIC-35. Building GENERIC-35 with the full base121 kernel bombs
very early in the boot process.

Thanks...  -Emmett