Subject: Re: Mac68k Installer 1.1d problem
To: Rahim Azizarab <rahim@megspo.megsinet.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1997 21:46:51
>I have a similar problem.  I don't have the tools to partion a drive under
>mac, but I should be able to use a drive partioned under another os?
>For some reason also the stuff-it expander has stopped working for me, so
>I can't expand the install, and mkfs.  Any clues?

The NetBSD FAQ has a description of a simple ResEdit patch to Apple HD
Setup that makes it work on most non-Apple disks.  Since this is part of
the MacOS distribution and it's freely available from Apple's FTP servers
you should be able to partition a disk under MacOS. It's possible a disk
formatted and partitioned on another OS may work, but I doubt it.  The
Boot Block is formatted differently under different systems for one, and
this may also apply to the Partition Map.  I have seen a proposal of how
to make a SCSI disk usable under both MacOS and Windows, but I don't know
if anyone has really got it working.

As for Stuff-it Expander, it's sometimes a bit cranky.  I think I've seen
problems with it when Internet Config was installed or when parts of Drop
Stuff were on the system.  You might try re-building the DeskTop and see
if that helps.  If all else fails let me know and I'll put together a
self-expanding version of Mkfs and Installer for you.

-bob