Subject: Re: Audio
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1997 11:34:15
I think that all of this has been discussed before, but...

There seems to be some problem with something (vague, aren't I?) messing
around with some location(s) in low memory.  Lots of folks have looked,
but so far noone has found it.  The problem has existed since at least
NetBSD/Mac68k v1.0, and possibly even longer.

Basically, whenever the size of the kernel changes, the behaviour of the
sound driver is subject to change.  If you're rolling your own kernels,
you can frequently get the "right" sound behaviour by adding or removing
superfluous stuff from your kernel.  (For example, if you only have
internal video, you can add/remove nubus video support.)  If you depend on
someone else's kernels, you're stuck waiting for them to build a newer,
different-sized one.

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> At 11:15 PM -0700 9/13/97, Space Case wrote:
> >On Sep 13, 11:03pm, Michael Peters wrote:
> >>  I recall asking a similar question a few months ago, getting no
> >>response.  Could someone point me at the portion(s) of code that do the
> >>'pop' noise that NetBSD currently generates for a 'beep'?  I'm no hack
> >>genious, but I'm willing to at least look at the code.
> >
> >I'd be willing to bet that there's some machine dependence there, because
> >the same kernel that makes a 'pop' on my C610 makes a nice 'beep' on my
> >Mac II.  Probably something in the frequency domain, and the 'pop' is
> >really a compressed-in-time beep.
> >

> My Mac IIvx makes a noise similar to that of a pop using NetBSD/mac68k 1.2
> GENERIC#1 kernel. at least, it doesn't sound like a "beep".  however, using
> GENERICSBC#20, i hear a different noise, somewhat to the effect of grinding
> something together. it sound more like a beep, kinda, but i dunno.
> give you any clues? maybe.
>   - a
>
>  Armen Babikyan - armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu
>     ----<insert lame quote here>----

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |