Subject: Re: Audio
To: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1997 09:02:15
On Sep 14,  9:32am, "Michael G. Schabert" wrote:
>Many companies took the cue from DOS game developers and wrote arcade
>software to "talk" directly to the ASC hardware. This took away the
>overhead of the sound manager & sped the games up unbelievably.
>Unfortunately, when the AV's came out, they had the AT&T DSP 3210 processor
>which did double-duty as the sound brains for the Macs. This meant that any
>game which was written to the ASC would play with no sound. Because this
>worked on all Macs up to the AV's and PowerMacs, I don't see why this
>couldn't be done with NetBSD/Mac68k.

So far as I know, the kernel _does_ talk directly to the ASC.  We don't
use MacOS' sound manager.  My conjecture was that since the C610 was
many times faster than the Mac II, what is supposed to be a beep comes
out as a pop.  Another possibility is that the later models use a
different time base for the ASC...

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/