Subject: Re: Audio
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/1997 09:32:44
>On Sep 13, 11:03pm, Michael Peters wrote:
>>  I recall asking a similar question a few months ago, getting no
>>response.  Could someone point me at the portion(s) of code that do the
>>'pop' noise that NetBSD currently generates for a 'beep'?  I'm no hack
>>genious, but I'm willing to at least look at the code.
>
>I'd be willing to bet that there's some machine dependence there, because
>the same kernel that makes a 'pop' on my C610 makes a nice 'beep' on my
>Mac II.  Probably something in the frequency domain, and the 'pop' is
>really a compressed-in-time beep.
>
>Look in the directory src/sys/arch/mac68k/dev, in the files asc.c and ite.c.

While there were some changes with sound in the various 68k Macs, all
except the 660AV and the 840 AV used the Apple Sound Chip (ASC) for sound.
Many companies took the cue from DOS game developers and wrote arcade
software to "talk" directly to the ASC hardware. This took away the
overhead of the sound manager & sped the games up unbelievably.
Unfortunately, when the AV's came out, they had the AT&T DSP 3210 processor
which did double-duty as the sound brains for the Macs. This meant that any
game which was written to the ASC would play with no sound. Because this
worked on all Macs up to the AV's and PowerMacs, I don't see why this
couldn't be done with NetBSD/Mac68k.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.