Subject: Re: COMMENT OUT NetBSD/mac68k
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Emmett D. Payne <emmettp@primenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/1997 22:45:56
Colin Wood wrote:

> Emmett D. Payne wrote:
> >
> > I don't have a working NetBSD system, and I need to comment out the
> > MRG_ADB option in the NetBSD-current/mac68k using the MacOS on a
> > PowerBook 170 8/500 (68030).
> >
> > Tools available include CodeWarrior 10 Gold, Alpha, BBEdit 4.5 Demo,
> > Resedit, Stuffit, MacGzip, McZip, suntar, ZipIt, and ShrinkWrap.
> >
> > What other tools are need to read and change the NetBSD source code.
> >
> > Disabling the MRG_ADB option, turns on both the Power Manager driver
> > and the ADB interface (screen) which hopefully will give  the PowerBook
> > a working NetBSD system.
>
> This is only going to be useful if you can compile your own kernels.
> Which, if you can do, then you can just use 'vi' :-)  What you probably
> need to do is download a copy of a recent -current kernel which had the
> option disabled in its kernel config file.  I believe that there are some
> on ftp.netbsd.org (check the README to see which ones are which), and
> there is also the latest HWDIRECT kernel on ftp.macbsd.com.  Once you have
> your system up and running and can compile your own kernels, then you can
> use 'vi' (or install some other editor) and edit:
>
> /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/conf/GENERIC
>
> or copy that file to some other name and edit then.
>
> Anyway, I hope this helps some.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.
Hi,

I downloaded GENERIC-35 and this time I was able to boot much further
before it bombed. It seemed to have stopped because an "init" was not
found. Any thoughts on how to proceed are appreciated.
NetBSD 1.2G (GENERIC) #35: Fri July 25  01:17:25  CDT  1997
  scott@mystery:/amd/see/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh PowerBook 170    (68030)
real mem  =  8388608
avail mem =  5066752
using 128 buffers containing 524288 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Powerbook class ROMs" ROM glue, tracing off, debug off
mrg: i/o map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly traps
silent
adb: using PowerBook 100-series hardware support
adb: cleanup: nothing returned
adb: ADBReInit complete
adb: PowerBook keyboard at 2
adb: 200 dpi mouse at 3
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
abd0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0: Apple Sound Chip
intvid0 at obio0: Internal Video
intvid0: 640 x 400, monochrome
grf0 at intvid0
ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
ncrscsi0 at obio0
scsibus0 at ncrscsi: 8 targets
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0:(QUANTUM, DAYTONA 514S, 5110) scsi2
o/direct fixed
sd0: 491MB, 1704 cyl, 8 head, 73 sec, 512 bytes/sec x 1005569 sectors
zsc0 at obio0 chip type0
zstty 0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty 1 at zsc0 channel 1
nubus 0 at mainbus 0
fpu 0 at mainbus 0 (mc68882)
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
PRAM time does not appear to have been read corectly.
PRAM: 0x83da4f80,      macos_boottime: 0x341aef55.
root file system type:ffs
init: not found
panic: no init
 stopped at     _Debugger+0x6:    unlk       	a6
 db>
Also, since I have never had or seen a system that was running... am I
getting any closer?

Thanks... -Emmett