Subject: Re: Cross-compiling?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Andreas Brusinsky <brusinsk@ibdr.inf.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/1997 16:54:17
You have to build crosscompiling tools, i.e. specifying
a target you want    to the configure script of binutils(as,ld.prof ..)
and to the compiler (gcc probably).

If these tools build then you can attempt to make things for the other
plattform.

Example:
/* either go into the binutils directory or make a new dir and call a
 'remote' configure script*/

 cd <new binutils build directory>;
 <path to binutils configure script>/configure --target=i386 (or Mac).

/*This should generate all references to the sources. Then 'make' and see
  how it goes. After that you could have a set of usefull binutils named
  with the target architecture. Install them in an appropriate place */

Then make a gcc for that platform in a similar way.

After that typical source with a configure script can be compiled to
the target architecture by specifying the --target= option.
Small .c files could be translated directly with the compiler.

If your local binutils don't do the job you can download binutils-2.8.1
from GNU. But certainly this is GPL software.

        Bye   Brusi

            by           E-Mail: ab2@inf.tu-dresden.de
                         Tel.-priv: 0351-8499347 (Germany/Dresden)
          \____