Subject: Re: networking
To: Adrian Rollett <acrollet@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/13/1997 23:40:15
Hi,

The next thing to look for is make sure the interface is getting
configured.  Does it have an IP address, netmask, and broadcast assigned?
You can do an 'ifconfig -a' to see what the current setup is.  Here is
mine:

bullwinkle# ifconfig -a
ae0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
        inet 202.233.42.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 202.233.42.255
ppp0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
ppp1: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST>
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST>
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST>

The method for getting ifconfig to setup the interface for your card
depends on whether you are running -current or the standard distribution.
The place I would sniff around is /etc/netstart file.  I believe you need
to have a file /etc/ifconfig.ae0 if you are using -current and a file
/etc/hostname.ae0 if you are using the 1.2 or 1.2.1 standard distribution.

Mark

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Adrian Rollett wrote:

> netstat on my machine shows basically the same thing, with the exception
> that the ae0 <hardware address> line shows 728 Ipackts and 1 Ierr, with
> all other columns 0, and lo0 <link> shows 32 in and 32 out. The other
> column for lo0 has yournet where yours says 127, that sounds like a
> problem right there, I will look and see if I can hunt that down. . .

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/