Subject: Re: Installer Woes Continue
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/12/1997 12:06:30
Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> At 09:47 AM 9/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >> By repartitioning my drive so that I had a root partition of ~200M, I was
> >> able to get OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k to install flawlessly with Installer 1.1e.
> >> I was however unable to mount the ~900M /usr partition in the Mini Shell.
> >> It kept saying, "file or directory /usr does not exist."
> >
> >Of course, I've got to ask, does it actually exist?  In other words, can
> >you do an 'ls /usr' in the minishell and have it return something?
>
> Well, no, it returns "fstat : No such file or directory."  Perhaps I'm
> approaching this all wrong.  My thought was, I have a clean root partition.
>  I have a clean usr partion.  I should be able to go into installer, which
> automatically mounts the root partition, run make devices, to actually make
> a device for sd0g, manually mount the usr partition and then create the
> actual /usr directory and use the installer to install the rest of the
> system.  Is this incorrect?  And if so, then how the heck do you mount the
> usr partition in order to create a /usr directory on it, in order to mount
> it?  Seems to be a catch-22 here.  I must be missing something somewhere.
> Please fill me in.

Rodney,
To mount the usr partition, the usr directory has to exist in the root
directory, on the root partition. This is the mount point where the
usr filesystem is grafted on. ie. the mount command does not create
the directory, it requires it to exist.

Just use the mini shell to create it, and the usr filesystem should
mount fine.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke