Subject: Re: Installer Woes Continue
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1997 20:58:15
Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> At 09:47 AM 9/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >> By repartitioning my drive so that I had a root partition of ~200M, I was
> >> able to get OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k to install flawlessly with Installer 1.1e.
> >> I was however unable to mount the ~900M /usr partition in the Mini Shell.
> >> It kept saying, "file or directory /usr does not exist."
> >
> >Of course, I've got to ask, does it actually exist?  In other words, can
> >you do an 'ls /usr' in the minishell and have it return something?
>
> Well, no, it returns "fstat : No such file or directory."  Perhaps I'm
> approaching this all wrong.  My thought was, I have a clean root partition.
>  I have a clean usr partion.  I should be able to go into installer, which
> automatically mounts the root partition, run make devices, to actually make
> a device for sd0g, manually mount the usr partition and then create the
> actual /usr directory and use the installer to install the rest of the
> system.  Is this incorrect?  And if so, then how the heck do you mount the
> usr partition in order to create a /usr directory on it, in order to mount
> it?  Seems to be a catch-22 here.  I must be missing something somewhere.
> Please fill me in.

Ah!  A mount point must exist before you can mount something on it :-)
So, in the minishell of the Installer, you need to do a:

mkdir /usr
mount /dev/sd0g /usr

Then you can either use the minishell's install option or exit the
minishell and use the install option in the File menu.

Does this help?

Later.