Subject: Re: Installer Woes Continue
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1997 19:04:34
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> Well, no, it returns "fstat : No such file or directory."  Perhaps I'm
> approaching this all wrong.  My thought was, I have a clean root partition.
>  I have a clean usr partion.  I should be able to go into installer, which
> automatically mounts the root partition, run make devices, to actually make
> a device for sd0g, manually mount the usr partition and then create the
> actual /usr directory and use the installer to install the rest of the
> system.  Is this incorrect?

Yes.  After the root partition is "automagically mounted" you must _first_
create a /usr directory in order to have a mount-point on which you can
mount the /dev/sd0g.  You don't create /usr after mounting, because, as
you noted, you won't have any place to mount the second partition.

The good news is, if you run the "create fstab" operation (I forget the
actual name) while you've got the /usr mounted, it will create an entry in
/etc/fstab automagically, too.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |