Subject: Re: Installer Woes Continue
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/11/1997 20:52:23
At 09:47 AM 9/10/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> By repartitioning my drive so that I had a root partition of ~200M, I was
>> able to get OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k to install flawlessly with Installer 1.1e.
>> I was however unable to mount the ~900M /usr partition in the Mini Shell.
>> It kept saying, "file or directory /usr does not exist."
>
>Of course, I've got to ask, does it actually exist?  In other words, can
>you do an 'ls /usr' in the minishell and have it return something?

Well, no, it returns "fstat : No such file or directory."  Perhaps I'm
approaching this all wrong.  My thought was, I have a clean root partition.
 I have a clean usr partion.  I should be able to go into installer, which
automatically mounts the root partition, run make devices, to actually make
a device for sd0g, manually mount the usr partition and then create the
actual /usr directory and use the installer to install the rest of the
system.  Is this incorrect?  And if so, then how the heck do you mount the
usr partition in order to create a /usr directory on it, in order to mount
it?  Seems to be a catch-22 here.  I must be missing something somewhere.
Please fill me in.

>The other thing that might be wrong here is whatever you used for the
>mount command.  There is what amounts to a disklabel listing produced when
>you first start up the Installer, and this should tell you which device to
>use to mount your /usr partition.  After figuring this out, you need to
>mount the device by typing:
>
>mount /dev/sd0g /usr
>
>(the above assumes that you have a separate Usr type partition on your
>internal hard drive).  Is this what you did?

The above is precisely the command I used to attempt to mount my Usr
partition on my internal drive.  It continues to return "/usr : no such
file or directory."  When I start installer it shows me the following:

sd0 at scsi ID 0.
Partition read, SCSI ID = 0
Mounting partition 'A' as /
sd0a: Root 'Root file system' at 204896 size 204800
sd0g: Usr 'Usr file system' at 491616 size 2012256
sd0b: Swap 'Swap' at 409696 size 81920
sd0d: Other (APPLE_DRIVER43) 'Macintosh' at 64 size 32
sd0e: HFS 'MacOS' at 96 size 204800
sd0a: Root 'Root file system' at 204896 size 204800
sd0g: Usr 'Usr file system' at 491616 size 2012256
sd0b: Swap 'Swap' at 409696 size 81920
sd0d: Other (APPLE_DRIVER43) 'Macintosh' at 64 size 32
sd0e: HFS 'MacOS' at 96 size 204800

Why it repeats this info twice, I have no idea.

>The other note of caution:  make sure you successfully mount your /usr
>partition _before_ you install any of the tarfiles.  Otherwise, when you
>manage to mount /usr, it will mount an empty partition over all those
>directories and binaries you've already installed.

So noted, although I have yet to get as far as mounting my /usr partition.  ;)

>> Anyway, when I booted to OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k, I periodically got multiple
>> messages about SCSI Phase errors popping onto my console screen.  Once I
>> was in vi, several times I was just at the command prompt getting ready to
>> enter a command.  Anyway, the question is, very simply, WHAT THE HECK IS
>> GOING ON HERE?????  Does anyone know?  I am VERY frustrated with this.
>> This setup worked with OpenBSD 2.1 not more than a week ago, the only
>> exception being I have swapped a 270M Quantum for this 1280M Quantum
>> Fireball TM.
>
>What kind of Mac is this?  Which SCSI driver are you using?  Some Mac SCSI
>drivers are having a little trouble (at least under NetBSD).

This is a Mac SE/30.  I was using the OpenBSD Generic NCR kernal.  OpenBSD
also has an SBC kernel, but I've yet to try it because I can't get this
/usr partition mounted.

>Assuming you're using Installer 1.1e, there shouldn't be any problems with
>large drive sizes at all.  The fact that OpenBSD installs onto a 200MB
>partition is probably quite irrelevant.  I'd instead try to figure out why
>you're having trouble mounting your /usr partition.  Did you use Mkfs 1.45
>(the latest, I think) to create the partition?  If not, perhaps you've
>managed to use an incompatible partition type (of course, older versions
>of Mkfs shouldn't even recognize an incompatible partition type...but
>that's another story entirely...)

I did use Mkfs 1.45.  I used Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5 to partition the drive
and the whole darn process is about to drive me batty.  It all worked so
smoothly before.  Guess that's what I get for trying to upgrade.

>Well, I hope this helps.  Let us know if you still have difficulties.

Grin.  Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.  I'll get this darn thing
figured out eventually.  It is very frustrating at this point however.

Thanks,

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com