Subject: Re: Partition name for booting.
To: Kelvin Chu <chu@biophysics.lanl.gov>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1997 22:55:40
Kelvin Chu wrote:

> Due to a HD failure, I recently downloaded and installed NetBSD 1.2.1;
> I'm having very little luck w/ getting the Booter to recognize the
> kernel.  I used to have 1.2 running just fine.  The error (which is in
> the FAQ) is the "Partition -1 is nonexistent.  Cannot open kernel
> (1,?) netbsd" error.

[truly wonderful problem description snipped]

> I'm sure I'm making some tremendously boneheaded mistake...can someone
> set me straight?  I had this running correctly under 1.2 but I assume
> I was just lucky then.
>
> I'm grateful for any help anyone can give.  Thanks very much. --k

BTW, everything you've done sounds perfectly correct so far.

Have you tried earlier Booters?  It's conceivable that the latest Booter
beta has a bug in it.  I'd try 1.10.0.  It might be that the latest has
some kind of hard coded partitioning or some other difficulty...

I hope this helps.

Later.