Subject: Re: Installer Woes Continue
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1997 09:47:30
Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> Ok, for those of you that have been following my OpenBSD installer woes,
> here's the latest update.
>
> By repartitioning my drive so that I had a root partition of ~200M, I was
> able to get OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k to install flawlessly with Installer 1.1e.
> I was however unable to mount the ~900M /usr partition in the Mini Shell.
> It kept saying, "file or directory /usr does not exist."

Of course, I've got to ask, does it actually exist?  In other words, can
you do an 'ls /usr' in the minishell and have it return something?

The other thing that might be wrong here is whatever you used for the
mount command.  There is what amounts to a disklabel listing produced when
you first start up the Installer, and this should tell you which device to
use to mount your /usr partition.  After figuring this out, you need to
mount the device by typing:

mount /dev/sd0g /usr

(the above assumes that you have a separate Usr type partition on your
internal hard drive).  Is this what you did?

The other note of caution:  make sure you successfully mount your /usr
partition _before_ you install any of the tarfiles.  Otherwise, when you
manage to mount /usr, it will mount an empty partition over all those
directories and binaries you've already installed.

> Anyway, when I booted to OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k, I periodically got multiple
> messages about SCSI Phase errors popping onto my console screen.  Once I
> was in vi, several times I was just at the command prompt getting ready to
> enter a command.  Anyway, the question is, very simply, WHAT THE HECK IS
> GOING ON HERE?????  Does anyone know?  I am VERY frustrated with this.
> This setup worked with OpenBSD 2.1 not more than a week ago, the only
> exception being I have swapped a 270M Quantum for this 1280M Quantum
> Fireball TM.

What kind of Mac is this?  Which SCSI driver are you using?  Some Mac SCSI
drivers are having a little trouble (at least under NetBSD).

> Now, for the reason I'm cross posting.  I have installed NetBSD
> 1.2.1/mac68k on this machine, in the current configuration, i.e. with the
> 1280M Quantum, and it installs flawlessly and runs without giving me any
> SCSI Phase errors on the console, or anywhere else for that matter.  So can
> anyone shed ANY light on this?  What would NetBSD be doing with it's SCSI
> driver code that OpenBSD wouldn't?  The fact that I can install OpenBSD on
> a ~200M partition almost leads me to believe there is some flaw in
> Installer perhaps with large values of certain drive parameters????  I
> dunno, I'm mostly grabbing at straws here.

Actually, NetBSD and OpenBSD could have quite different machine
independent portions of the SCSI drivers, so they could easily be doing
quite different things.  However, I don't know how divergent OpenBSD SCSI
code is from NetBSD's, so you'd probably have to ask the OpenBSD/mac68k
portmaster to be sure.

Assuming you're using Installer 1.1e, there shouldn't be any problems with
large drive sizes at all.  The fact that OpenBSD installs onto a 200MB
partition is probably quite irrelevant.  I'd instead try to figure out why
you're having trouble mounting your /usr partition.  Did you use Mkfs 1.45
(the latest, I think) to create the partition?  If not, perhaps you've
managed to use an incompatible partition type (of course, older versions
of Mkfs shouldn't even recognize an incompatible partition type...but
that's another story entirely...)

> One other thing I'm going to throw out for those of you that know more
> about Macs and SCSI to pick apart is this:  the Quantum is I believe a
> SCSI-2 device, yet my Mac SE/30 I'm almost certain contains only a SCSI-1
> controller.  Would the SCSI-2 drive be attempting to detach itself from the
> SCSI bus and the reattach and thus cause SCSI Phase errors?  It seems a

I suppose this is possible, but I really don't know enough about the Mac
SCSI drivers to say yea or nay on this one.  Perhaps Allen would know a
little more.

> possibility to me with what I've been able to find out about SCSI on the
> Mac.  Also, can someone clear up exactly what SCSI Manager 4.3 is?  Is it a
> piece of software, like driver code or something that my SE/30 can be
> upgraded to (or may already have, since I'm running 7.5.5) or is it
> actually hardware on the Mac?

I'm pretty sure that SCSI Manager 4.3 is software, and I think that it's
been in the system file since like 7.5.0 or so.

Well, I hope this helps.  Let us know if you still have difficulties.

Later.