Subject: Re: video/display problems
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: None <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/1997 08:16:50
On 00:42:02 Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:
>>        Hi,
>
>I found some information on connecting old monitors to new macs, new monitor>s
>to old macs, use of PC monitors with macs, etc. in the German edition of
>MacWorld: older macs/monitors/cards used sync-on-green, whereas newer monito>r=
>use a separate sync signal, as well as sense pins. Some macs like the non-AV
>Quadras, support both sync-types. According to "MacWelt", it may be necessar>y
>to use an adapter. To connect a modern multisync monitor to an older Mac or
>video card, a "Mac C Sync" adapter should do the trick of extracting the
>sync signal from the sync-on-green.

Nico,
   Thanks for that info!  And yes, I've found that "sync on green" also
applies to some of the older cards from non-Apple sources as well.  This makes
a confusing maze out of getting some of these to work with, say, an adapter to
a RGB display!  Some will need five BNC's and some will work with only three
for example!  And yes, there are also those that need four!  Some of these RGB
monitors will require a "special" cable for this very reason and one Mac you=
=20
might get it to work with only an adapter and four, but on another, it'll take
five! =20

Geez!
Paul