Subject: Installer Woes Continue
To: None <misc@openbsd.org>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1997 20:50:19
Ok, for those of you that have been following my OpenBSD installer woes,
here's the latest update.

By repartitioning my drive so that I had a root partition of ~200M, I was
able to get OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k to install flawlessly with Installer 1.1e.
I was however unable to mount the ~900M /usr partition in the Mini Shell.
It kept saying, "file or directory /usr does not exist."

Anyway, when I booted to OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k, I periodically got multiple
messages about SCSI Phase errors popping onto my console screen.  Once I
was in vi, several times I was just at the command prompt getting ready to
enter a command.  Anyway, the question is, very simply, WHAT THE HECK IS
GOING ON HERE?????  Does anyone know?  I am VERY frustrated with this.
This setup worked with OpenBSD 2.1 not more than a week ago, the only
exception being I have swapped a 270M Quantum for this 1280M Quantum
Fireball TM.

Now, for the reason I'm cross posting.  I have installed NetBSD
1.2.1/mac68k on this machine, in the current configuration, i.e. with the
1280M Quantum, and it installs flawlessly and runs without giving me any
SCSI Phase errors on the console, or anywhere else for that matter.  So can
anyone shed ANY light on this?  What would NetBSD be doing with it's SCSI
driver code that OpenBSD wouldn't?  The fact that I can install OpenBSD on
a ~200M partition almost leads me to believe there is some flaw in
Installer perhaps with large values of certain drive parameters????  I
dunno, I'm mostly grabbing at straws here.

One other thing I'm going to throw out for those of you that know more
about Macs and SCSI to pick apart is this:  the Quantum is I believe a
SCSI-2 device, yet my Mac SE/30 I'm almost certain contains only a SCSI-1
controller.  Would the SCSI-2 drive be attempting to detach itself from the
SCSI bus and the reattach and thus cause SCSI Phase errors?  It seems a
possibility to me with what I've been able to find out about SCSI on the
Mac.  Also, can someone clear up exactly what SCSI Manager 4.3 is?  Is it a
piece of software, like driver code or something that my SE/30 can be
upgraded to (or may already have, since I'm running 7.5.5) or is it
actually hardware on the Mac?

Thanks again for your help,

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com