Subject: Re: Starting X in color
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1997 17:31:36

> Michael R Zucca wrote:
> > Anyway, I've got a color X server that I put into the X distribution on
> > ftp.macbsd.com. But when I try to run it I get an error stating that
> > it can't find the color database. So I copied an rgb.txt from my linux box
> > to my lib/X11 directory but X still can't seem to locate the color database
> > (strangely, showrgb will show the contents of the rgb.txt file).
> >
> > What do I need to do to fire up X in color.
>
> I'm pretty sure you need the actual db files, not the text file that's
> used to generate them.  Try getting a copy of rgb.dir and rgb.pag instead.

You probably either want to steal the db file from a big-endian NetBSD
box/distribution, or generate it yourself. The on-disk db file probably
contains short and long int values in native byte order. I remember
seeing a message on source-changes when Jason changed NetBSD's
db-makers to use network byte order (so the db files could be shared
between all machines).

Take care,

Bill