Subject: Re: video/display problems
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1997 15:51:37
On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > At 10:43 AM 9/9/97, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > >I think the question was getting to the fact that Apple used to put the
> > >sense information for the monitors in the cable, not in the monitor. So
> > >if you grabbed the wrong cable, your monitor got fed trash. :-( Not a
> > >problem if the cable's attached as you mention.
> >
> > No!  Really?  I guess I could believe anything, but surely they kept the
> > monitor information in the monitor?
>
> It's what I've read. It's been a while, so I've forgotten exactly where
> it was...
>
> > I guess I never ran into that because usually the only Apple monitors
> > around were specifically the original one.
>
> Shows that they weren't far off in saving the cost of those 3 wires
> running to the monitor (and associated cable stiffness, etc.).
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Little story: a month ago, in search of high quality DB-15 M->M cables for
a monitor switch box (all the ones I bought and tried were insufficiently
shielded and made the pixels blurry), I orded Apple's cables from Cyberian
Outpost.  I noticed they said for "Apple High Resolution Monitor and IIgs
monitor", both of which I knew had DB-15 female receptacles on the back of
the monitors for a cable, so I thought nothing of it.  The cables came,
and they didn't have 15 pins in them.  They were pinned exclusively for
the Apple High Resolution and IIgs monitors!

I still don't have properly shielded monitor cables - I gave up on the
monitor switchbox and bought an SE/30 instead. :(

--
Nathan Raymond