Subject: Re: video/display problems
To: None <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1997 10:43:12

> On 17:50:33 hotz@jpl.nasa.gov wrote:
> >>At 3:12 PM 9/8/97, wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> >
> >Are you using an Apple-brand video cable?  There are some sense pins that
> >must be set to inform the display drivers what resolutions are possible.
> >
> Well yes, since the cable is permanently attached to the monitor, and it is
> an Apple ......

I think the question was getting to the fact that Apple used to put the
sense information for the monitors in the cable, not in the monitor. So
if you grabbed the wrong cable, your monitor got fed trash. :-( Not a
problem if the cable's attached as you mention.

> >Virtually every display driver ever made for a Mac should support this I
> >would think.
> >
> Driver maybe, but my question is why doesn't it work at all with various
> video cards, including the builtin video output from the IIsi??  One would
> think an Apple monitor should work on an Apple computer, right?  Since
> it works on the IIci, and any other Apple video card I have here also.  Hmmm
> wait a minute, thats not totally true!  There is one, really old, Apple HiRes
> card with only 256K of memory on it, and it doesn't work on that either!
> Later models of that same card are fine, and so is that one if I put in more
> memory (I know, cause I took it out to put it on another later card that had
> only one bank).  Thing is, that later card worked fine, but only 16 colors
> until I put the second bank in.  But this one doesn't work at all now
> with that monitor with only one bank full.

So you have two video cards, A & B, and an extra memory blob for one of the
two.

				Card A			Card B
w/o extra memory		Dead		    only 16 colors
w/  extra memory		Great			Great

Very weird. Very, Very weird. Sounds like Card A has a firmware bug
which doesn't deal well with insufficient memory. If I got it right
above.

Have you tried it on the IIsi set to B&W?

> In another message, wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net wrote:
> I suspect,
> but do not know for certain that some of the 3rd party cards don't
> use the same pinout as Apple did (such as Raster Ops).  I aked the
> question hoping to find out if that is (or was I should say) the case.
> I need to find the answer because I need to purchase or fabricate a
> cable that will work with a couple of RGB (BNC connectors) montiors
> that I also have, and I've been frustrated by not being able to find a
> cable at any of the stores around here.

I'd hope they used the same pinouts for 15-pin cables, just different
monitor sense configurations. The video plug is documented in the
_Guide_to_the_Macintosh_Family_Hardware_.

Does anyone know of a table of monitor sense pin configurations?

Take care,

Bill