Subject: Re: Installing on 840av
To: Anthony T. Pittari <tand@pluto.njcc.com>
From: None <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/09/1997 13:19:26
> Just recently tried to install netBSD 1.2 and netBSD 1.2.1 on my Quadra
> 840av.

	The kernels which were in these distributions are too old to
support the Q840av (they did not support SCSI on Quadra machines).
Try a generic kernel from one of:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/kernels/

	Anything newer than GENERIC16 should be fine.

> after choosing boot i get the booting message, the "byebye, so he sez to
> me.." thingy then my speaker makes a very weird static sound "ZZzzZZ" and
> the machine locks up.

	This is a problem unique to the AV macs. Try zapping the PRAM before
booting, and the noise & lock-up should go away.

> I also have a Thunderstorm Photoshop accelerator installed (dual 66mhz
> dsp) (nubus) but i havent tried booting without that installed...

	Shouldn't matter. I have a SpigotProAV in mine. The kernel will
find it in the slot, but then ignore it.

> Work Hard.  Render Fast.  Leave a Phong-shaded Corpse.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |