Subject: Installing on 840av
To: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anthony T. Pittari <tand@pluto.njcc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1997 22:07:48
hi there,
This is my first time on the list and i have a question regarding the
Quadra840av...

Just recently tried to install netBSD 1.2 and netBSD 1.2.1 on my Quadra
840av.
I formatted the drive with FWB HDT, used mkfs 1.45 to do the filesystem,
installed base, netbsd and etc with Installer 1.1e, built devices, and
tried to boot with almost all versions of booter upto 1.10b.  Here's the
problem im having:
after choosing boot i get the booting message, the "byebye, so he sez to
me.." thingy then my speaker makes a very weird static sound "ZZzzZZ" and
the machine locks up.
I've tried booting into 8-bit, 1-bit, nothing seems to work, it locks up
everytime.  randomly it will change the screen to white and put some codes
at the top of the screen. nothing short of using the "3-finger salute"
will reboot the mac.
Has anyone succesfully installed this on a Q840av? if so, i would really
appreciate the help...

Here's my system info:
Quadra 840av
44mb ram
2mb vram
3gig quantum
1gig quantum
2gig seagate
zip drive
cd-rom drive
maxtor 240mb
quantum 540mb <<--netBSD installed on this drive (SCSI-ID 4)
I also have a Thunderstorm Photoshop accelerator installed (dual 66mhz
dsp) (nubus) but i havent tried booting without that installed...

Work Hard.  Render Fast.  Leave a Phong-shaded Corpse.