Subject: Re: PAP in ppp, help!
To: None <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1997 13:17:13
> I'm still trying to get a PPP connection using PAP in netbsd1.2G-6/1/97
> snapshot (custom kernel by Dave Huang) on a Q700. All ppp.setup.gz files
> have been installed and configured so that PAP tries to work (--i have a
> pap-secrets file and a chap-secrets file too). After ppp-up is typed I
> get a "connect" message, but "mail" doesn't work, and neither does pine.
> pinging doesn't seem to work either. When I do ppp-down, I get an error
> also. So what's wrong? I think debug is on also. Do I need an error log
> and if so how do I set them up?

To see if the interface comes up, use ifconfig -a and see if ppp0 has
a reasonable IP address. Does the modem dial?

For debugging, look in /etc/syslog.conf. There should be a "*.local2"
line, and all debugging messages will go to the file at the end of that
line.

> BTW this all seems like a lot of work compared to typing in a couple of
> fields of info in ConfigPPP which is all i needed to get a valid
> connection under MacOS.

This is a volinteer effort. You get what you pay for. ;-)

>    AT&FE1V1Q0&A3&B1&H1&R2&D0&C1x450

Good. You have your modem string.

Take care,

Bill