Subject: Re: Powerbook 540c
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1997 14:03:31
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> >	2 somewhat related questions here:
> >
> >	1 - I've heard that there is some floating point emulation support
> >either in the works or already finished (sorry, I am somewhat recent to
> >the list, so you may have answered this one a million times ;-)) So, would
> >the LC040 in my 540c be able to work with a more recent kernel?
> >
> >	and 2 - this is not quite as related, but I just got a used drive
> >from a guy here in town. It's a 1.2 GB Micropolis drive in an APS external
> >case, but whenever I turn it on it starts to smell like something is
> >burning... and then this last time I actually saw smoke start to pour out
> >of the ventilation holes in the side. I've tried both the Micropolis drive
> >and a Toshiba 170MB drive, and the bad smell came both times. I popped
> >open the case and tried to see what might be the problem. I'm assuming
> >it's a problem with the power supply... though I saw a little yellow solid
> >that looks like it might have melted onto the power supply, or been melted
> >from a part on the power supply. The guy told me it was doing this, and he
> >gave it to me for just the $2.69 it took to ship it to me. I was going to
> >try to use it to experiment with my powerbook using NetBSD, but I don't
> >want to ruin the drive, which seems like it works perfectly fine (I would
> >try it in my Quadra, but it's an IDE and I don't think it has an internal
> >SCSI connector, does it? Does anyone know if APS might replace the case,
> >or at least the power supply? I'd like to get this drive up and running so
> >I don't screw up my working NetBSD drive tinkering with my powerbook 8-)
> >

> Try replacing the fan. Mine died too, but it make a minatory screech in the
> process, which gave it away..
> Try just disconnecting the fan first - APS won't sell the fan as a part & I
> had to pay $20 for a replacement.
>
> Dan Killoran

When I toasted a power supply but bridging the DC power supply with a hard
dive mechanism (total accident) in an SR2000 enclosure the fuse blew
(naturally).  When I replaced the fuse and powered it up, it made sparking
noises and started smoking a lot.  The mechanism is fine, I've been using
for months.  The power supply I put in a box in my closet. :)

So go to apstech.com and buy an SR2000 case ($60) and put the micropolis
mechanism in it.  I bet the power supply is toast.  Don't bother
replacing the fan, it wouldn't be what's smoking. :)

--
Nathan Raymond