Subject: Re: Powerbook 540c
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/08/1997 11:51:37
>	2 somewhat related questions here:
>
>	1 - I've heard that there is some floating point emulation support
>either in the works or already finished (sorry, I am somewhat recent to
>the list, so you may have answered this one a million times ;-)) So, would
>the LC040 in my 540c be able to work with a more recent kernel?
>
>	and 2 - this is not quite as related, but I just got a used drive
>from a guy here in town. It's a 1.2 GB Micropolis drive in an APS external
>case, but whenever I turn it on it starts to smell like something is
>burning... and then this last time I actually saw smoke start to pour out
>of the ventilation holes in the side. I've tried both the Micropolis drive
>and a Toshiba 170MB drive, and the bad smell came both times. I popped
>open the case and tried to see what might be the problem. I'm assuming
>it's a problem with the power supply... though I saw a little yellow solid
>that looks like it might have melted onto the power supply, or been melted
>from a part on the power supply. The guy told me it was doing this, and he
>gave it to me for just the $2.69 it took to ship it to me. I was going to
>try to use it to experiment with my powerbook using NetBSD, but I don't
>want to ruin the drive, which seems like it works perfectly fine (I would
>try it in my Quadra, but it's an IDE and I don't think it has an internal
>SCSI connector, does it? Does anyone know if APS might replace the case,
>or at least the power supply? I'd like to get this drive up and running so
>I don't screw up my working NetBSD drive tinkering with my powerbook 8-)

Try replacing the fan. Mine died too, but it make a minatory screech in the
process, which gave it away..
Try just disconnecting the fan first - APS won't sell the fan as a part & I
had to pay $20 for a replacement.

Dan Killoran

Got a device you would like to have run on the Mac? Call:
                 Daniel-the-Driver-Maker
      Fast service - accurate work - responsive support

         (Offer void wherever taxed or prohibited!)