Subject: Re: Quadra 630 internal video
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/07/1997 22:30:37
> 	I finally was able to get X downloaded (was having problems with
> sz from my server, and it kept cutting off the transfer halfway through
> 8-( ) but, come to find out as of the GENERIC-38 kernel the Q630's
> internal video isn't supported (or at least I don't get grf0 or intvid0
> anywhere at startup) I DO have the devices grf0 and grf1, but when I
> startx I still get the "Can't run X with no screens!" error.

Ahh! I have it! All the machines that are broken right now are non-DAFB
Quadras. I think some of the code Allen added to grf_iv has a bug in
it that makes the kernel think there's no video on non-DAFB Quadras.
I'm planning to release a re-written internal video driver in the
next few days and that should fix the bug.

> 	Is support for the Q630 internal video underway at all, or is
> there someone who has written a kernel that it may work with? I've fallen
> in love with X windows, so I'm really anxious to get it working again 8-)
> Especially once support for internal video color is done!

Well, my patches should fix your problem enough for you to get B&W X going.
However, I don't currently have enough information to support the
Valkyrie video controller in the 630's.

Actually, the information should be quite small since there is code in
the linux-pmac source that shows me how to use the Valkyrie but what
I'm lacking is a base address for the CLUT and the controller.

> 	If you need to use me as a guinea pig, that's fine with me... I
> have some experience with Macsbug and I know a LITTLE assembly.... at
> least enough to make me hazardous to my own health ;-)

Well, finding the CLUT and video controller base is tricky. I'm going
to document how you go about doing stuff like this as well as the
video controllers. However I have to do some prioritization in my
life right now since a new school quarter has just begun.

My goal now is to get a working kernel out the door with at least IIvx
and DAFB support. These are two ground breaking architectures since
the IIvx is like many II's and LC's and the DAFB is very advanced.
With those in place and my new plug-in video driver support, writing
other drivers should be a week-end project.

I'm looking at the following tentative time-line now:
1. Release a color kernel with the plug-in video driver model
   and a IIvx and DAFB driver.
2. Add other machines (in no specific order)
   IIsi/IIci (I need to borrow a friend's IIci)
   Quadra AV's
   630's
   LCIII
   Other LC's
   Powerbooks (Some day, I don't have acess to these)

I'll have a look at the 630 dev notes and if they have the
CLUT and controller bases in them I might be able to spin a new
driver out within the next month.

But let it be known that even with a new driver model and everything
else I still have to have time to write this stuff. :)