Subject: Re: B&W X Windows on internal video?
To: Geoff Roberts <gjr01@uow.edu.au>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/07/1997 00:16:04
Hi,

As you start up in NetBSD, look for a line that says:

  grf0 at intvid0

You cna also do a

  dmesg

if you missed it on bootup.  I believe you need grf0 being set to intvid0
for X (and dt) to work.  Here is a snip of what mine looks like (on a
Centris 650 with internal video):

  intvid0 at obio0: DAFB: Monitor sense 1.
  intvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
  grf0 at intvid0
  ite at grf0 not configured

Mark

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Geoff Roberts wrote:

> >If you can start the console on internal video then there's no reason
> >why you can't run X in black and white.
> >

>    I have tried starting X in black and white on both 640x480 and 832x624
> and I keep getting the "Fatal server error: Can't run X server with no
> screens!".   I have both grf0 and grf1 devices in the /dev directory, but I
> guess they aren't loading.   According to the FAQ this has something to do
> with the kernel.   I am currently using GENERICSBC-37.
>
>    Does anybody know how I might be able to get the graphics devices to
> load with this kernel.
>
> Thanks.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/