Subject: Slot Manager kernel ready
To: MacBSD List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1997 18:58:20
OK, folks, I've finally gotten the ROM-based Slot Manager to work under
NetBSD.  So, if you've got one of those finicky nubus video cards that
just doesn't seem to work with NetBSD, this just might do the trick!

Now, the caveats:

1) Since I don't have an Ethernet card, I have no idea if the new code
   breaks anything.  It shouldn't, but "You never know..."

2) It only works on 68020- and 68030-based Macs.  I don't know enough
   about the 68040 to trust myself to DTRTWRT (Do The Right Thing With
   Respect To) enabling and disabling the instruction and data caches.

3) Furthermore, it only works right now on a Mac IIci, Quadra 700,
   Quadra/Centris 650, and Quadra 950 models because those are the only
   ones for which I've been able to find the ROM addresses of the Slot
   Manager code.

4) Using the Slot Manager means loading (and executing) code from the
   nubus card's own ROM.  This is code for which no one except the
   manufacturer has sources, so there's no way for you to be sure it
   doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.  Of course, you're already
   running this code when you use the card under MacOS, so it probably
   isn't too destructive!  :)

So, if there are any brave souls out there with appropriate Mac models who
are willing to try this kernel, please let me know and I'll send you the
URL for the kernel.  It is totally GENERIC in all respects, other than its
use of the Slot Manager rather than the NetBSD nubus driver code.

And, if there are brave souls out there with other Mac models who would
like to try out this kernel, let me know and I'll send you instructions on
how to get the ROM addresses I need (you'll need MacsBug).  I don't think
Scott'll let me put this into the source tree until I get most of the ROM
addresses filled in.  :)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |