Subject: RE: Q610 Dos Compatible
To: None <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Stephen Brown <sbrown@best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1997 22:47:29
> On 9/6/97 at 1:07 AM -0500, Brian Cole <brian@tuc.loyinc.com> wrote:
>
> > All Centris610s had 68LC040 chips, but most
> > Quadra610s had full 68040s.
> > The only Quadra610s that came with 68LC040s
> > were the ones in the cheapest configuration, which
> > I believe was the 8/160 configuration.
>
> Yep. Like mine. And, like mine, you could get one without the internal
> CD-ROM drive. It was a way to get a pretty fast machine at a reasonable
> price.
>
> > Also, some Quadra610s don't have built-in AAUI ethernet.
>
> Are you sure of this? I got the rock-bottom cheapest Q610, and I would have
> saved a few bucks if I could by avoiding Ethernet, but that didn't seem to
> be an option. Very odd...

I'm looking at the November 1993 "Apple Compatibility Chart" and the Q610
is listed as "FPU" being optional, but ethernet standard.  But, then again,
Apple changed the Q610 configuration quite a number of times.  And, the
C610 and Q610 are basically the same box, but with a slightly faster clock-
ing on the Q610.  If they had non-ethernet C610 machines, it's conceivable
that there were non-ethernet Q610 boxes.  However, I don't remember this
being the case when I bought mine at the very end of the Q610 run(full
'040, but no CD-ROM - easily added later along with more VRAM and, of
course,  memory ;-) ).

> > Am I right in thinking that no Centris610s have built-in ethernet?
>
> I *think* this is the case, but I can't verify it with any certainty.

No, the chart definitely lists ethernet as an option for the C610.  And,
I can remember this being the case because when I started looking it was
at the C610 & C650.   And, IMHO, I consider ethernet a very important
feature.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com