Subject: Powerbook 540c
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1997 17:30:53
	2 somewhat related questions here:

	1 - I've heard that there is some floating point emulation support
either in the works or already finished (sorry, I am somewhat recent to
the list, so you may have answered this one a million times ;-)) So, would
the LC040 in my 540c be able to work with a more recent kernel?

	and 2 - this is not quite as related, but I just got a used drive
from a guy here in town. It's a 1.2 GB Micropolis drive in an APS external
case, but whenever I turn it on it starts to smell like something is
burning... and then this last time I actually saw smoke start to pour out
of the ventilation holes in the side. I've tried both the Micropolis drive
and a Toshiba 170MB drive, and the bad smell came both times. I popped
open the case and tried to see what might be the problem. I'm assuming
it's a problem with the power supply... though I saw a little yellow solid
that looks like it might have melted onto the power supply, or been melted
from a part on the power supply. The guy told me it was doing this, and he
gave it to me for just the $2.69 it took to ship it to me. I was going to
try to use it to experiment with my powerbook using NetBSD, but I don't
want to ruin the drive, which seems like it works perfectly fine (I would
try it in my Quadra, but it's an IDE and I don't think it has an internal
SCSI connector, does it? Does anyone know if APS might replace the case,
or at least the power supply? I'd like to get this drive up and running so
I don't screw up my working NetBSD drive tinkering with my powerbook 8-)

	Thanks!

	- Ryan

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!