Subject: Mac68k Installer 1.1d problem
To: None <misc@openbsd.org>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1997 19:59:26
HELP!!!!!!

I'm attempting to install OpenBSD 2.1/mac68k on a Mac SE/30 with 20M RAM
and a 1.2GB Quantum Fireball TM1280.  I've downloaded all the install
files, read the install text file, read the FAQs and so on.  I've
partitioned the drive into a ~100MB Mac OS partition, a 40M Swap partition
and a ~1.1GB root & usr partition with Apple Disk Tools 7.35.  First wierd
thing that happened was when I first ran mkfs 1.2, it only saw the swap and
the Mac OS partitions on the drive.  So I went back into Apple Drive Tools,
deleted the root & usr partition and recreated it only this time I left 2K
of space at the end of the drive unallocated.  Then I rebooted, ran mkfs
and this time it saw the root & usr partition and let me format the drive.
Great.  Next I ran Installer 1.1d and told it to install all of the install
files.  It started working and I went away.  When I returned a couple of
hours later to check on the progress, I found this on the screen:

.
.
< Successful file install messages deleted for brevity >
.
.
drwxr-xr-x	0/7		0 Mon May 26 03:24  1997 ./usr/share/zoneinfo/Mideast
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
Error on SCSIWrite(), #5
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
Error on SCSIWrite(), # 5
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
pos = 0, i = 11, fs = /
alloccgblk: can't find blk in cyl

And the install had stopped and a message at the top of the window said,
"press <<return>> to exit."  After exiting, rebooting, deleting the
partition, recreating the partition, re-running mkfs 1.2 and re-running
Installer 1.1d, it happened again, in exactly the same place.  So, I
rebooted, deleted the partition, recreated it, snagged a copy of mkfs 1.4
from the NetBSD distribution, ran it to format the drive, re-ran Installer
1.1d and it happened again.  Same spot, same message.

So I'm about to do the whole process again, but this try I'm going to try
using the Installer from the NetBSD distribution.  I have no idea if that
will work or not, but it seems worth a try.

Here's the weird part however.  Last night, I installed NetBSD 1.2.1 on
this same machine, same drive, same partitioning scheme AND IT WORKED!
Almost as wierd, before I recently upgraded this machine to 20M of RAM and
the 1.2GB Quantum, it was running OpenBSD 2.1 fine on 8M RAM and a 250M
Quantum disk.

So, can anyone give me any ideas as to why this might have happened and
what I can do about it?  Or is there a newer version of Installer out there
that might fix this problem?

I'm cross posting this to port-mac68k@netbsd because there seems to be a
lack of mac68k OpenBSD users and because by using some of the tools that
come with the NetBSD distribution, it seems to involve NetBSD too.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com