Subject: RE: Q610 Dos Compatible
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Cole <brian@tuc.loyinc.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/06/1997 01:07:41
] Date: Tue, 2 Sep 97 12:01:19 CDT
] From: "Ray McKinney" <ray.mckinney@telops.gte.com>
]
] As far as I know, All Quadra 610 Dos machines shipped with 68LC040's. (to
] keep cost down)
]
] I know mine did, but I replaced it with a full '040 -- easy to do since
] the CPU sits in a socket.

All Centris610s had 68LC040 chips, but most
Quadra610s had full 68040s.
The only Quadra610s that came with 68LC040s
were the ones in the cheapest configuration, which
I believe was the 8/160 configuration.

I remember that there was a lot of confusion about
this at the time.  I remember that one of the hardware
engineers posted "All Centris610s have a full 68040"
on comp.sys.mac.*, but then had to retract his statement
later.  It turned out someone at Apple had decided to use
some 68LC040s after all, and had made the decision
without telling (at least some of) the engineers.  Similarly,
none of the Apple documents mentioned the 68LC040, so
some buyers got stung.  (I beleive that Apple eventually
offered to replace those customers' 68LCC040s with
full 68040s, because of the misrepresentation in their
documents.  note: I'm sure this offer expired long ago.)
Also confusing was that some non-domestic 8/160 configs
_did_ have full 68040s, which made it hard to figure out
the pattern on usenet (since it didn't occur to us that a
domestic 8/160 might differ from a non-domestic 8/160).

Also, some Quadra610s don't have built-in AAUI ethernet.
These might be the very same domestic 8/160 models, or
maybe some other subset, I can't remember.  Am I right in
thinking that no Centris610s have built-in ethernet?

brian

PS.  I've been away from the mailing list for a while, so
     I'm a little out of touch.  Approximately how long will
     it be to the 1.2.2 release?  My IIvx is running a fairly
     old version of macBSD, but I'm inclined to wait for an
     actual release to upgrade.  Plus, if I wait, maybe support
     for IIvx internal color will be done.  (And I'd also like to
     avoid the 832x624 resolution bug, even though the IIvx
     isn't capable of 832x624--don't ask.)

PPS.  Is anyone out there running macBSD on an old Radius
      640x870 full-page NuBus card?  If so, please send me
      some mail.  Heck, email me even if you're not running
      macBSD on it.  I need some cabling info.

--
Brian Cole
brian@tuc.loyinc.com