Subject: Re: Questions, Questions, and yes more Questions
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1997 12:11:59
Ok, great buttons one through three, except I have a one button mouse so I
guess I'm really asking what keys do I use?

And about the nfs thing, wuarchive.wustl.edu:/archive/systems/unix/NetBSD
is mounted in /imports/NetBSD as I'm writing this. It's neat to say the
least. My connection isn't great but it is slightly usable and more
efficient than ftp. I can untar the files right off the server to my
machine :)  ('tar -zxvpf /imports/NetBSD/.../sys.tar.gz' for example)
And configuration was simple just add this line to your /etc/fstab:
wuarchive.wustl.edu:/archive/systems/unix/NetBSD <mount_point> nfs
ro,soft,noauto 0 0

and give the command mount <mount_point>. That's it. Just unmount it when
you're done so you don't lag things like df :)

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> tcjam wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I have gotten X up and running (every one clap =] ) and I don't know
> > much about it but the one thing I miss the most about moving from dt to X
> > is my inability to cut & paste. Would someone please tell me how I can do
> > this if I indeed can?  And some resources on X would be very helpful in
> > the next few months as I learn more and more about this.
>
> To make a selection in X, you click button 1 (usually the left button) and
> drag to cover the selection.  Alternately, you can click the start of a
> selection with button 1 and the end with button 3 (usually the right
> button).  Making a selection essentially copies the selected text to the X
> clipboard.  To paste the selection, click button 2 (just about always the
> middle button).  Of course, if you don't have buttons, there is usually
> some form of keyboard emulation available.
>
> As for info on X, the best resources that are readily available are the
> man pages.  Otherwise, you'd have to go buy a book.  I don't really know
> of any other online resources, but you can always dig around on the 'net.
>
> > Second thing is, I recently saw a post about mounting the
> > mailing-lists/port-mac68k as an nfs filesystem. Does anyone know if you
> > could use this at netbsd.org? Or anywhere else..? Also could you mount one
> > of these sites and just untar the archives over nfs?
> > Any comments?
>
> I don't think that netbsd.org handles afs (I seriously doubt that the site
> mentioned before does nfs exporting, although I could always be wrong).
> As for other sites, I know that there are several sites that do AFS, but I
> don't know how many of them carry the NetBSD distribution.  Personally,
> I'd rather just use FTP.  I figure it's probably quite a bit faster (and
> quite a bit easier to configure).
>
> I hope this helps some.
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                 cwood@ichips.intel.com
> Component Design Engineer - MD6                 Intel Corporation
> I speak only on my own behalf, not for my employer.

                                 \||||/
                                  o  o
|| "Please explain to me the scientific          |  tcjam@voicenet.com ||
||   nature of the whammy." -Scully              ______________________||
|| "Foolproof systems don't take into account,                         ||
||  the ingenuity of fools" -Unknown 			               ||
||   PGP key can be obtained from:                                     ||
||      http://www.voicenet.com/~tcjam/home/keys.html                  ||