Subject: Re: B&W X Windows on internal video?
To: Geoff Roberts <gjr01@uow.edu.au>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1997 11:32:20
> Is it possible to run B&W X windows on internal video with an LC630 (with
> FPU) or do I need to wait for the colour drivers?

Well, first you need B&W support before I can write a color driver.
B&W support means the kernel knows where and how to map in your VRAM.
Color support is a matter of twiddling with the video controller and
CLUT/DAC hardware. So they are, in effect, separate issues.

If you can start the console on internal video then there's no reason
why you can't run X in black and white.

When can you expect a color driver for the 630? Well, I don't have any
plans to do it in the first release. I need to find out the base address
for the Valkyrie controller and the CLUT/DAC. Once I've got that there's
source code to program the Valkyrie in the linux-ppc sources so a driver
could follow very quickly if I could find those addresses.

Basic breakdown -> I have to find a 630 to work on. I saw one in our
labs at RIT but I don't think it is very accessible.