Subject: To NetBSD or OpenBSD
To: None <misc@openbsd.org, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1997 07:37:41
Ok, before I start, I realize this question could cause a lot of flaming
and bickering about which OS is "better".  *I DON'T WANT THAT!*  If all you
can do is flame one side or the other, please don't bother responding.  I'm
looking for some honest assessments of what *YOU* like about NetBSD or
OpenBSD, depending on which OS you run.

I've got a Mac SE/30.  It's got 20M RAM and a 1.2G hard drive.  I'm going
to run a Unix-like OS on it.  The question I have is whether to run OpenBSD
or NetBSD.  I am at a point in this Mac's life where I can easily install
either one and not lose anything.  What I'd like is some reasons that
OpenBSD/mac68k should be the OS I run and some reasons why NetBSD/mac68k
should be the one I run.  I've read the FAQs and I'm aware that OpenBSD
professes to be more secure and NetBSD doesn't really profess anything, but
from what I can see may be more compatible if only because more people are
aware of it.  As far as I can tell, it really is almost a toss-up.  In fact
both NetBSD/mac68k and OpenBSD/mac68k point users to Allen Brigg's Puma
where both are called MacBSD.

So, with that in mind, please help me decide which MacBSD I should run by
giving my some honest, open, *NON-FLAMING* assessments of the strengths of
the operating system you run.

Thank you in advance,

Rodney M. Hopkins
rhopkins@sunflower.com