Subject: Re: Video working on AV's?
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/05/1997 01:23:09
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:
> Has anybody gotten B&W video to work on Quadra AV's?
>
> I was test booting on a Q840AV yesterday with a -current kernel and it
> booted up, made a horrible screech, and displayed the last line of
> the message just before the device initialization.

Hmm... try zapping the PRAM... While I don't know about the 840av in
particular, NetBSD has booted on my 660av for almost a year. Up until very
recently (a few days ago), the internal video grf device wouldn't get
configured without changing an #ifdef notyet in locore.s, but it'd still
boot multiuser just fine. The recent change makes locore check the machine
class at runtime, and turn on the stuff that lets internal video get
configured on AV machines.

So, I can boot my 660av in 1, 8, and 16 bit color (didn't try the other
depths, but I'm sure they'd work fine), and I can run X/dt in 1 bit mode.
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++