Subject: Re: help
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1997 23:17:06
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Mark Andres wrote:
>
> > The best place to start finding the answers to your questions is in the
> > installation documents.  The installation is rather straight forward
> > including the instructions for partitioning your HD.  Note that you will
> > likely lose all data on your HD, so **make sure you back up all data
> > first**.
>
> I wouldn't say likely....  I've done this a handful of times on various
> computers, never lost anything.  The danger lies in power failures or
> computer crashes during partitioning.  The latter seems less likely than
> the former, but reboot w/o extensions when you run your partitioner just
> to be sure.  Grab FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit from somebody to shrink your HFS
> partition(s) (you'll need to optimize with Norton Speed Disk first, or it
> won't let you shrink it much, if any).  Then use HD SC Setup to create the
> A/UX Partitions.  It's just a matter of having all the correct tools.
> Anything missing, and yeah, you pretty much have only one choice... format
> and partition at the same time.  But, if you have the right tools....  No
> problem at all.  Getting a system running after the partitioning is the
> fun part.  ;-)
>

> David
I poped in on the tail end of this thread, but one of the things I really
like about the LaCie formatter, is that you can take a partition and
resize it with out loosing anything.  As long as the volume is unmounted
LaCie seems to do the defraging and the file system and partition changes
all automatically.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@Glue.umd.edu