Subject: RE: Q610 Dos Compatible
To: , <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ray McKinney <ray.mckinney@telops.gte.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1997 08:38:00
I don't think there is any special instructions for an Australian
procedure. Just pull out the LC040 (maybe use a "chip puller" [can be
purchased at local electronics store] and make sure you are grounded), and
carefully push the new '040 in.

Make sure that you note the orientation of the old chip in the socket and
place the new one in the same manner.

Good luck,
Ray
-------------
Original Text
From: "Edward Cox" <ecox@magna.com.au>, on 9/3/97 5:56 AM:
Ray McKinney said:

>>This sounds like FPE problems.  Do you have the 68040 or 68LC040?  I
>>suspect that you have the LC040 and a buggy one, at that.
>
>>Perhaps someone else can clarify this for sure...
>
>As far as I know, All Quadra 610 Dos machines shipped with 68LC040's. (to
>keep cost down)

Bingo - I can see the chip from here... XC68LC040RC25B - so what's this
about doing a brain transplant to a real '040?? I'm in Australia so any
localised advice would be much appreciated.

>I know mine did, but I replaced it with a full '040 -- easy to do since
>the CPU sits in a socket.

Yes, it's in a socket. So maybe a brain transplant wouldn't be too hard
even for a beginner like me.
>Ray
>ray-m@tamu.edu
>ray.mckinney@telops.gte.com