Subject: Re: help
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/04/1997 09:00:06
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> The best place to start finding the answers to your questions is in the
> installation documents.  The installation is rather straight forward
> including the instructions for partitioning your HD.  Note that you will
> likely lose all data on your HD, so **make sure you back up all data
> first**.

I wouldn't say likely....  I've done this a handful of times on various
computers, never lost anything.  The danger lies in power failures or
computer crashes during partitioning.  The latter seems less likely than
the former, but reboot w/o extensions when you run your partitioner just
to be sure.  Grab FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit from somebody to shrink your HFS
partition(s) (you'll need to optimize with Norton Speed Disk first, or it
won't let you shrink it much, if any).  Then use HD SC Setup to create the
A/UX Partitions.  It's just a matter of having all the correct tools.
Anything missing, and yeah, you pretty much have only one choice... format
and partition at the same time.  But, if you have the right tools....  No
problem at all.  Getting a system running after the partitioning is the
fun part.  ;-)

David