Subject: Re: Quadra 630 Question
To: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1997 13:32:52
SamMaEl wrote:

> 	Okay, I am in NetBSD now... I ended up installing the GENERIC-36
> kernel and it booted fine. I booted in single user mode and everything
> looked great. Then, I exited single to finish booting into multi-user mode
> and the kernel spit out a bunch of errors about read-only filesystem, and
> said my swap partition was configured wrong.

Did you upgrade your binaries as well as your kernel?  If not, do it now
before you bother with anything else....oh, upgrade your /etc scripts,
too.

> 	SO, I rebooted back into MacOS and used the installer to force
> make a new /etc/fstab and tried again. That worked great... booted into
> single-user just fine and then when I exited it went into multi-user just
> fine. But, from reading the list I tried running X windows and using a few
> other commands, like ps and w. Ps and w both gave me proc size mismatches,
> as I expected would happen, and X told me:
>
> server error:
> Can't run X without any screens!
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
>
> 	I am using internal video with an Apple Multiscan 15 display...
> and as this computer uses PDS slots, the video cards I have won't work
> with it 8-(. So, is there a way to get X to run with internal video, or do
> I have to spring for a PDS video card? And, will I have to recompile all
> of the kernel-based programs like ps and w?

What does a dmesg say about the state of video on your machine?  Are there
any lines about intvid or grf0?  You need to get a grf device to configure
properly before you can run X...

Later.