Subject: Re: qpopper: Do I own temp file?
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: kaz-k) <kazk@yyy.or.jp (Kazuyoshi Kato>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1997 23:23:00
>         Hi,
>
> Under which UID does qpopper run? If it runs as root, then it should be
> able to write in /var/mail when it has 0755 permissions. If it runs as
> "daemon" or something similar, it might work if you

  In short, popper runs as _you_ after you're authorized, open and check
your .user.pop, and gather info., so you must have permission to write
in /var/mail to create temp files, as far as I read the sources.
  Popper documentation and sources tell you that you can change
POP_TMPDROP to any other dir.(/tmp or /var/tmp, for instance) you'd like
to use, though it's not recommended.

> 1. chgrp the binary to group "mail" (create it if not present); 2. chgrp
> /var/mail and it's contents to group "mail" as well; 3. change the
> permissions of /var/mail to 0775; 4. change the permissions of the
> mailboxes to 0660.
>
> Note: I'm not sure if this works under NetBSD, but it is worth trying
> (I've seen this kind of setup under several other OSes). Also, some tips
> may be carefully hidden in the qpopper documentation :-)

  Yes, your tip works under NetBSD as well, in fact my setting is almost
the same as yours(don't need to chgrp the binary to group "mail".)

  -- kaz-k