Subject: Re: X Windows Question
To: Rodney M. Hopkins <rhopkins@sunflower.com>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/02/1997 02:13:01
On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Rodney M. Hopkins wrote:

> I've recently started running MacBSD on my SE/30 with 8M RAM and 250M disk.
>  From what I understand there is no color X Windows on this platform.  The
> question I have is, if I get X Windows running on this machine, can it act
> as an X-Server so that I can run X-Windows applications off of the SE/30
> machine assuming I have an X client for the other machine?  Will the
> X-Windows served up from the SE/30 to another machine be in color assuming
> the other machine is in fact color?

First we should get our terminology right.  In X parlance, the server is
the machine whose display you look at.  If you don't look at the SE/30
screen then it ain't the server.

Second your SE/30 will NEVER serve color X (note the X usage of serve)
since it's dislay is black and white only.  Moreover none of the
Mac platforms will (at the moment) serve color X, as we are all
still waiting for MRZ to publish his code.

Third, yes you can, and I have served X windows off another machine,(like
my FreeBSD PentiumPro) in which case the SE/30 will be perfectly happy
to send color window data to the display server.  Best of all this
isn't even anything to frob, just go ahead and set your DISPLAY
environment variable, that pretty much it.

> The reason I ask is because I have little desire to try and run X on a
> 9-inch 512x348 mono screen and I would be much happier if I can run X on
> another machine in my network and attach to the SE/30.
>
> Thanks very much for your help,
>

> Rodney M. Hopkins
> rhopkins@sunflower.com

---------