Subject: Re: Quadra 630 Question
To: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1997 23:52:24
	Okay, I am in NetBSD now... I ended up installing the GENERIC-36
kernel and it booted fine. I booted in single user mode and everything
looked great. Then, I exited single to finish booting into multi-user mode
and the kernel spit out a bunch of errors about read-only filesystem, and
said my swap partition was configured wrong.

	SO, I rebooted back into MacOS and used the installer to force
make a new /etc/fstab and tried again. That worked great... booted into
single-user just fine and then when I exited it went into multi-user just
fine. But, from reading the list I tried running X windows and using a few
other commands, like ps and w. Ps and w both gave me proc size mismatches,
as I expected would happen, and X told me:

server error:
Can't run X without any screens!
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

	I am using internal video with an Apple Multiscan 15 display...
and as this computer uses PDS slots, the video cards I have won't work
with it 8-(. So, is there a way to get X to run with internal video, or do
I have to spring for a PDS video card? And, will I have to recompile all
of the kernel-based programs like ps and w?

	Thanks!

	- Ryan

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!