Subject: Re: Quadra 630 Question
To: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/1997 23:02:51

> Your IIci has internal hard disk drive, doesn't it?  If not, please
> ignore followings.  Also please ignore when I give you bad advices.

	It is an external 1.3 GB SCSI Quantum Fireball hard drive. I used
the drive with a IIci, booting from the drive as SCSI 5. I'm keeping the
same SCSI ID (my drive is 5, my CD-ROM is 6) and not using the internal
IDE at all.

	Also, it is all in one partition... sd1a I think. I'm THINKING
that the only problem I should have is with the kernel.... so I will try
the kernel someone suggested (GENERIC36 I think?) and see how it goes ;-)

	- Ryan

> If your IIci has internal drive, it must be SCSI-id = 0.  Therefore
> this dirve might be recognized as sd0.  So your external hard disk
> dirve migyt be sd1.
>
> On Quadra630, the internal hard disk dirve is not SCSI but IDE type.
> Therefore NetBSD kernel skips it.  So your external hard disk now
> become to recognized as sd0, I think.
>
> I hear you can boot NetBSD on external drive.  Concerning this,
> your /etc/fstab is badly written so as to work on not sd0 but sd1.
>
> Please check followings:
>
>         with "Mini Shell" on "installer utility",
>         type following command
>
>                 > cat /etc/fstab
>
>         you may see such as
>                 /dev/sd0a       /               ffs rw 1 1
>                 ... and so on
>
>         if you see "sd1a" instead of "sd0a", /etc/fstab is bad.
>
>         Try to re-write it
>
>                 > fstab force
>                 > cat /etc/fstab
>
>         Now exit from Mini Shell and quit.

> Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
> +81-86-251-8196(voice) & +81-86-253-7399(GIII type FAX)
> Biotech. Dept., Okayama Univ.

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!