Subject: Re: FREE SOFTWARE !!!
To: Howard S Shubs <hshubs@mindspring.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1997 17:32:42
> >i think the list should stay the way it is now. this is 1 spam message
> >every...how many months?

I agree.

> >the current setup is appealing to users not subscribed to the list. more
> >users is a good thing.
>
> Question: When is a (list) user not a user?
> Answer: When they're not joined to the list.

One of the main reasons I prefer NetBSD's approach (of filtering certain
addresses rather than having closed lists) is what happens when someone
cross-posts. If someone posts to both a list I'm on and a list I'm not on,
then I can reply and everyone sees my response.

All the mklinux lists are closed. In the same situation, my post to the
other lists bounces. Having a post bounce in such a situation makes me
unhappy, and generally makes me not want to contribute to the mklinux
lists.

I agree that spam is annoying (especially the free porn stories
port-powerpc and the toolchain list were "treated" to recently). But
I think NetBSD's approach is generally much friendlier to legit.
users, and I think the differance is worth the occasional pain.

Take care,

Bill