Subject: Re: error while compiling kernel
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1997 16:10:36
> stock gcc 2.7.2 yep
> i don't know what a snapshot is. i'm using the NetBSD/mac68k 1.2 tarballs,
> if that's what you mean.

That answers the question, yes.  Binary snapshots are made
periodically--Steve just made one in the last two weeks.

> 20MB RAM, 32MB swapspace. unlimited cputime and memory.

Hmmm..  It sounds like you might be seeing a gcc bug.  I can tell you
that I don't

> i just tossed KTRACE. something with a K in it, anyway :-)

Heh.  I meant to try compiling with -O instead of -O2 or without any -O
option at all.

> how long do compiles usually last? that previous compile was done during
> the nighttime, so i have no time figure. does it take 45 minutes? 2 hours?

If my Q700 isn't doing anything else, a kernel compile takes between 1
and 2 hours, I think--I'm usually doing something while it compiles,
though, and I haven't timed a kernel compile in a long time.  It very
much depends on what machine you have, which options you choose, and how
fast your disk subsystem is (not very fast ;-).

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com