Subject: Re: SPAM (was Re: FREE SOFTWARE !!!)
To: Jude Giampaolo <jude@ruf2ece.ee.psu.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/1997 10:54:34
> I fail tto see how that would be unfriendly. I require it for all of the
> mailing lists that I maintain. If you don't receive the list traffic, how
> could you ever know if somone had answered your question?

I, at least, tend to do group replies (as you did).

> I beleive that if
> you are not subscribed to the list you should not be posting to it.

In an ideal world, I'd agree.  This list is relatively high-traffic for
a lot of people, and I don't think they should be subjected to that much
mail that they might not be interested in.  Closing the list might also
result in more un/subscription requests, and it also puts more of a load
on the mail server...

Nothing is really stopping spammers from joining the lists just to send
mail.  The extra authorization step makes it a bit harder to automate,
but they'll learn to get around just about any automated process that we
implement, and I don't have time to personally check each subscriber.

Anyway, it hasn't really been a problem so far.  Most of the UCE I
receive is not directly through NetBSD lists.  It's delivered straight
to me.  I just delete the messages without reading them.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com