Subject: Re: qpopper: Do I own temp file?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/1997 09:24:24
Hi,

Yes, I can see how this would work and it would probably work on my setup
as well.  However, it seems to me that this is more insecure than my
setup.  By setting rwxrwxrwt, world can only append, not delete.  With
your setup, world can delete.

My goal, and what you seem to be able to do with other flavors of UN*X, is
to not have the mail directory world writeable at all.  Actually, for me,
this really does not matter as I have moved our mail server from a NetBSD
box to a BSDI box.

Mark

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

> On my netbsd box, I use the following:
>
> /var/mail is:
> 2 drwxr-xrwx   2 root   wheel      512 Aug 29 11:18 mail
>
> and the mailboxes are:
>
>   4 -rw-------  1 steve     guest       1405 Feb  2  1996 steve
>
> qpopper has been working fine with this setup.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/