Subject: Re: Mac IIsi problems
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: SamMaEl <rimsky@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1997 14:36:04
On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > At 7:38 AM -0700 8/29/97, SamMaEl wrote:
> > >	I just tried installing the 1.2.1 distribution onto my Mac IIsi. I
> > >installed it on my IIci months ago and have been running it with no
> > >problems. I just tried booting into BSD on the IIsi and got the error:
> > >
> > >	You're hosed! Try booting with the 32-bit addressing enabled in
> > >the memory control panel.
> > >	Panic: Cannot work with current memory mappings.
> > >
> > >	It gives the videoaddr as: 0x9000480
> > >	Says: Failure in BSD Boot nextpa = 0x105000, high[0]=0xf9000480
> > >
> > >	I would try playing with the debugging... but the keyboard does
> > >not respond ;-)
>
> The message says it all.
>
> > >	Any help would be much appreciated. I am about to try getting
> > >Mode32, but I have a feeling that won't work....
> >
> > i thought only the II's (and either the IIx or IIcx) were not 32-bit clean.
> > maybe i was wrong.
>
> Armen's right. The IIsi doesn't need Mode32. I have one at home, and
> it's fine w/o Mode32.
>
> > yes, go get Mode32 and use that. as far as i know, it does the job for macs
> > that aren't 32-bit clean.
>
> Don't bother. Just proceed to --+
>
> > just check the memory control panel for the 32-bit option again. do this
> > before attempting to install Mode32.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

	Well, the memory control panel doesn't show a setting for 32 bit
mode. That is what puzzles me. I'm running 7.6.1... I just installed the
drive last night, and installed 7.6.1 on it after I made the A/UX
partitions. Might it be that and a combination of swap space? I allocated
about 24 megs of swap.... I have the max of 17MB RAM...

	Ryan

-----
My name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!