Subject: Unknown machine type solution?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Claesson <Johan.Claesson@uab.ericsson.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/29/1997 14:50:06
This might be useful for all of us who got an accelerate Mac. Such as
mine Performa 475 (25 MHz -> 33 MHz).

## Taken from MacFixIt www.macfixit.com ##
Wish I Were... (2.0) [35K] 8/1/97

The "Wish I were..." control panel provides a method for a system to
identify its hardware as another hardware type, via the Gestalt "mach"
selector. This has a variety of potential uses, including fooling an
Installer into thinking you have different hardware than you actually
have, thereby bypassing the Installer's refusal to run on your hardware.
This can allow you to access files from the Installer that might still
be useful to you.

Download -> http://www.macfixit.com/library/tul/Wish.sit.hqx

I haven't got the chance to test if it works, but for some it might and
for some it not?
If it does than I think this is a good solution for all who got thoose
machines. Better than my hard-coded booter, right?

Hope it works!
/Johan Claesson