Subject: Re: LC/Performa 475 boots (serial console)
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/27/1997 19:31:36
On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Bob Nestor wrote:
> >
> > As far as I remember the Gestalt ID is only used for the MRG code in the
> > Kernel.  So if you're running with the HWDIRECT code it shouldn't make
> > any difference what the value is and that's one of the many benefits of
> > John's code.  I'm just guessing, but I'd bet the 475 is in the same group
> > as the '030 Cuda machines and that's now running in HWDIRECT although
> > probably not yet in the -current tree.  We may finally be close to the
> > day when the MRG code is history and we can all run with the HWDIRECT
> > solution.
>
> Make that the ADB portion of the MRG code.  The rest of the MRG code is
> still quite helpful, and having a working Nubus Slot Manager in NetBSD
> just might solve quite a few problems (including color nubus video ;-)

Yep, and I've got the Slot Manager stuff _almost_ completely working, at
least on my Mac IIci.  I'm stumbling over one little detail now, trying to
make it select the "right" operating mode - but I expect to have that
taken care of in a couple of weeks, and I'll have a SLOTMAN kernel ready
for testing soon after.  (If there's enough demand, maybe I'll make a
SLOTMANSBC kernel, too.)

In the meantime, I'm going to need some help from folks with other
Macintosh models.  In particular, I need the ROM address of the slot
manager code.  So anyone out there with MacsBug, please find the address
of _SlotManager and send it to me (along with your Mac's model).  I'll
probably need another address or two, but _SlotManager will be a good
starting point.

Maybe this will even make it possible for that person with the 4-port high
speed serial card to write a driver!  :)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |